HackOTT is this Saturday the 26th, from 9am-6pm. To ensure things go swimmingly and that you are fully prepared for awesomeness, please note the following:
Disposable cups free event! Yes, that’s what HackOTT is going to be in addition to all the awesomeness. So that means you will need to bring your portable mug, thermos or whatever! If you don’t have one, well you still have time to head to the store and get yourself a fancy one. Make sure you can use it for both cold beverages and hot ones and you will be set for the next decade! Help us reduce and reuse! And now on to what you really have been waiting for.
MEET AND GREET:
When: 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- HackOTT will take place at the Shopify office, at 61A York Street, Ottawa
WHAT TO BRING
- Your Guestlist receipt (HackOTT is sold out!). You don’t need to print it, an email you can show us is fine too.
- Your laptop
- Your mobile device if you are developing a mobile app
- Cables, chargers and connectors for any of the above
- Your data stick if you have one – could come in handy when networks get chocked up
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE
- APIs, API support
- Coffee, tea, juice, pop
- Snacks and beers at beer o’clock
- Wireless internet
- A large LCD display for presentations, with HDMI and VGA input (we recommend you bring your own connectors, but we will have some handy as well)
- An awesome developer community!
- 9:00 – Breakfast and introductions: Meet your HackOTT organizers and all the developers, get acquainted with the space + final schedule + grab a breakfast of champions!
- 9:30 – API presentation: learn about the APIs available. Each API provider will have 5 minutes to introduce their API, discuss its salient features and get you excited about using it.
- 10:15 – Open Planning: come up with hacking idea and build a team. This is a white board exercise: if you have an idea that you would like work on, just puts its name down on the white board; if you are looking to build a team, identify yourself to other developers with the skill sets that you need. If you are looking for ideas, identify yourself to other developers as well.
- 10:30 – Hacking setup and start. You claim a little spot of the office with your team or by yourself and start working on your project.
- Noon – Lunch
- 1:00 – Hacking
- 5:00 – Application presentation – 3 minutes for each presenter!
- 6:00 – Judging and prizes
- 6:30 – Off to nearby pub for celebrations!
Q: Am I allowed to use third party APIs (APIs not provided via HackOTT) for my application?
A: Yes. But your usage of the third party APIs needs to be in addition to the HackOTT APIs. Also keep in mind that judging is partially based on utilization of the provided APIs, though, so their use should be prominent.
Q: What if I don’t have an idea for an application by Saturday?
A: No problem, there will likely be many people who could use an extra brain for their ideas. Ask around during breakfast or Open Planning. We will have labels available for people to identify themselves as individuals looking for an idea or a team.
Q: How large can the teams be? Can I work solo?
A: Teams can be as large or as small as you like. Solo is okay, too! A 2-3 people team is ideal typically.
Q: What happens to the application I build at HackOTT?
A: It is yours! You decide.