We just wrapped up HackVan and HackRegina in March and are now a short 12 days away from HackTO. I still remember our first HackTO. It was the first hackathon Corey and I organized in Toronto. It was awesome and we learned some great lessons about organizing hackathons (who organizes a hackathon in mere days?). Despite everything, our first hackathon was fantastic because it brought together some of the brightest developers in Toronto and our start up and tech community. In less than 8 hours 50 developers put together an impressive 13 applications with APIs provided and supported by our local startups and the tech community at large. We were blown away by the support from our community and sponsors and decided that we were going to hack our way around Canada. That was the beginning of our hacking adventures and since then we have held hackathons in Ottawa, Regina, Vancouver and Waterloo. And we are planning to continue connecting Canada’s tech communities.
So now, we are back with the second edition of HackTO and this one promises to be bigger than our first HackTO and of course we are looking forward to an awesome line up of APIs, developers, sponsors and support from our tech and startup community – again!
First the event details:
- Who: everyone! old friends, new friends, old hackers, new hackers. You are all welcome
- What: HackTO #2. An all day hackathon
- When: Saturday April 14, 2012 from 9 AM to 8 PM
- Where: The new Freshbooks HQ: 35 Golden Avenue, Suite 105
- Registration is now open. So grab a ticket and start plotting your world domination!
This time around we are opening up tickets as well for the evening presentations, so if you are not interested in building an app and hacking away with us, you can still drop by and check out the awesome applications built and meet your community and the hard working developers!
We will be keeping the same crazy schedule of our previous hackathon and pretty much the same set up. There will be:
- Awesome APIs and developers who will be supporting the APIs you will be working with
- API introductions, presentations and workshops for you get up to speed on the APIs you will be working with
- Food and drink all day long – you won’t have to worry about a thing!
- Fantastic prizes from our sponsors
- Cash prizes from API providers and startups
- And a fantastic opportunity for you to meet your startup community and other talented developers. And let’s not forget a great opportunity to flex your coding muscles
- 9:00 – Breakfast and introductions: Meet your HackDays organizers & all the developers, get acquainted with the space + final schedule + grab a breakfast of champions!
- 9:30 – API presentation: learn about the APIs available. Each API provider will have 5 minutes to introduce their API, discuss its salient features and get you excited about using it.
- 10:15 – Open Planning: come up with hacking idea and build a team. This is a white board exercise: if you have an idea that you would like to work on, just put its name down on the white board; if you are looking to build a team, identify yourself to other developers with the skill sets that you need. If you are looking for ideas, identify yourself to other developers as well.
- 10:30 – Hacking setup and start. You claim a little spot of the office with your team or by yourself and start working on your project. All the API providers will be available the entire day to provide support.
- Noon – Lunch
- 1:00 – Continue hacking – help yourself to all the energy snacks you need!
- 5:30 – Application presentation – 3 minutes for each presenter! Beers!
- 7:00 – Judging and prizes
- 7:30 – After party celebration at a nearby pub!
Would you like to help us make this hackathon the best Toronto hackathon ever? Get involved!
We are looking for:
- APIs: does your company have an awesome API? Tell us about it, and let’s get you on board
- Sponsorships: nothing would be possible without the awesome support of our community and our sponsors. You can help us by becoming a sponsor for the hackathon or the pre or post hackathon party. We would love to speak with you about sponsorships, so please get in touch!
Getting in touch: Got an idea you would like to discuss with us, got a suggestion? Would like to see a particular API included? Drop us a note!
There will be tons of prizes for HackTO#2. Official prizes and company sponsored prizes.
Official HackTO#2 Prizes:
- First place: $2,000
- Second place: $1,500
- Third place: $500
For HackTO#2, we will be introducing company sponsored prizes. These will be prizes for the best use of a company API. Stay tuned for our announcement in the coming days!
Follow HackDays on Twitter: @HackDaysCAN