(Pssst - HackMTL and YellowAPI will be offering a $300 prize for the best use of Open Data this Saturday!)
Open Data is a BIG part of the upcoming HackMTL. We wanted to cast a wide net, get as many local developers building local apps as possible so have partnered with the local open data community.
Open Data is the idea that certain data should be freely available to everyone to use and republish as they wish, without restrictions from copyright, patents or other mechanisms of control. The goals of the open data movement are similar to those of other “Open” movements such as open source, open content, and open access [source Wikipedia].
We are fortunate to have many “open” players in the Montreal market, along with a couple of very active groups, namely Montreal Ouvert and Nord Ouvert/Open North, who are also supporting upcoming HackMTL. Check out a few of the Montreal-based apps that have built using the City of Montreal data:
- Resto-Net.ca – make informed decisions about a restaurant’s sanitation and avoid food poisoning
- MaMairie.ca – track and interact with local politicians in the City of Montreal
In addition, we are fortunate to have a few very important open APIs also sponsoring HackMTL. We thank our partners at STL, STM and the Ville de Montreal for being a part of this event. The links to their open data can be found at:
- STL - http://www.stl.laval.qc.ca/lang/en/mobile-stl/open-source/
- STM - http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/a-developpeurs.htm
- City of Montreal / Ville de Montreal - http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/
- Communauto - http://monstyledeville.net/
Again, HackMTL and YellowAPI will be offering a $300 prize for the best use of Open Data this Saturday. We are looking for all developers to embrace the open data movement and find ways to integrate Montreal specific data into your apps.